Thursday, May 15, 2008

Play time in Amsterdam!

Yeah, I finally made it to Europe!!
On our way to Kuwait, flying KLM, we have to connect in Amsterdam.
So, we just made our layover a little longer... like 5 days longer, hah!!
We know we will be working mad hours in Kuwait,
so let's just go ahead and get some play time in :-)

We spent most of the time in Amsterdam, checked out Den Haag
and went to see flowers at Keukenhof!
I didn't get to see everything I wanted to see,
So I'm definitely making a trip back for more :-D
Read on...

Approaching Schiphol Airport at 7 am!!!
Welcome to Netherlands :-)


I watched 3 movies from ATL to Schiphol, didn't catch much sleep in flight!
So needless to say, my sleepy butt was in bed
as soon as we got to our guest home in Amsterdam.
Finally woke up late in the evening...
Our guest home host was cooking dinner at midnight as we were heading out
Haha... I know I'd be starving...
Here's a shot of a random street near Dam Square...
I thought it was artistic, hah :-)


Haa... a beautiful day in Amsterdam :-)
I really like the city, especially the old city, the architecture!
The canals, bridges, cute little houses, boats, bicycles...
It's a very eco-friendly city, also very convenient...
you can walk almost anywhere in the city!!
Even the Red Light District is very well organized!!


The National Monument at Dam Square!


YES, they are everywhere!!!
People smoke on the streets, roll it in the park any time of the day...
EVERYWHERE, like it's nothing!!!
This particular store has hundreds of different type of seeds,
magic mushrooms (as they'd call it), pipes, containers...
even home grow kit for mushrooms.. it's hilarious!!!


Now, something educational...
The Rijksmuseum.. national museum of the Netherlands...
Saw The Night Watch by Rembrandt... very impressive!


Amsterdam Centraal Station...
the exterior is under renovation, so it looks a little rough!
But the inside looks just like the train station in Harry Potter!


Just outside the Amsterdam Centraal Station
See the rows and rows of bicycles along the rails...
People ride their bikes to the train station and take public transportation!
It's amazing how many bikes were there...
I wonder how they find their bikes at the end of the day... hummmm...


Flower fields at Keukenhof!!!
The colors, so beautiful... tulips, orchids, roses, lillies...



Back to Amsterdam....
A shot of canal-front houses...
I like it :-)


A day in Den Haag, where all the government relations are located.
Binnenhof and the Knight's Hall.. buildings of Dutch Parliament.


Le Plein (The Square) in Den Haag!
Bars, restaurants and real coffee shops around the square, it's very nice!


Yeah, one more Chinatown on my list!!!
in Amsterdam...


We flew out on April 30th, which is Queen's Day in Netherlands...
It's like the biggest, most celebrated holiday...
Too bad, our flight was in the morning and we had to miss it :-(
We did catch block parties around town the night before, aka Queen's Night
with live bands on the streets, people, booze... it was fun!



Can you see how much water cost?!?!?!!!
I'd be an expensive date in Europe, haha!



Hence, the "Red Light District"!! Queen's Night was a busy night :-)
You see... the curtains are down...

No comments: